Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

Below are some frequently asked questions from Job Seekers.  For more information on any of our current opportunities, visit our ‘Job’s page our contact our team today.

I would like a position on a mine site, what types of roles are available?

There is a wide variety of positions available within the mining industry.  Some of the positions One Key Resources recruits for include:

  • Open Cut Machinery Operators
  • Underground Operators
  • Workshop Tradespeople
  • Underground Tradespeople
  • Administration & Site Support
  • Training & Assessment
  • Health and Safety
  • Labouring
  • Engineering
  • Mining Professionals

Please CLICK HERE to see a list of our current vacancies.

I would really like to drive a Dump Truck on a mine site, but I don’t have any experience. How do I get into the industry?

Entry level positions are highly competitive, with hundreds of people applying for a single role. These positions are commonly referred to as ‘New to Industry’, ‘Green or ‘Cleanskin’ roles.  Our clients run these programs at different stages throughout the year, in order to give new entrants into the industry an opportunity to learn how to operate mine site machinery.  These roles are generally reserved for candidates who reside locally to the mine and not on a fly in fly out (FIFO) basis.

All our ‘New to Industry’ campaigns are posted on our social media pages and occasionally on Seek.  The best way to be notified of these opportunities is to follow our FACEBOOK page and creating a candidate profile by CLICKING HERE

What is the lifestyle like when you work in the mining industry?

The mining industry offers a wide range of lifestyles depending on the role and the mine’s location. A residential role allows you to live near the mine and be home after every shift. In most cases this means living in a small mining community and is most common in New South Wales. 

Many mining roles offer a bus in, bus out service (BIBO) or are drive in, drive out (DIDO). For BIBO roles, a bus will travel from the nearest urban centre to the mine/camp location. For DIDO roles, you will drive yourself from your home to the mine/camp location. Many DIDO workers choose to carpool with colleagues, to share costs and drive time.   This is most common for Queensland mine sites.

Certain mine sites may also have an option for Fly In Fly Out (FIFO) work. Whilst the positions are currently rare on the east coast of Australia, it is extremely common in Western Australia due to the very remote locations of WA mines. Generally, the mine owner will provide Charter flights from Perth to closest airport to the mine’s location. 

BIBO, DIDO & FIFO roles will also supply accommodation and meals in a camp near to the mine.

Rosters will vary between sites. Residential roles generally operate on a [2 Days,2 Off/3 Nights, 2 Off/2 Days, 3 Off] roster. BIBO, DIDO or FIFO will usually be a [7 Days, 7 Off/7 Nights, 7 off] roster or a [7 Days, 7 Nights/7 Off] roster. With each roster you will rotate working days or nights. The shift lengths are generally anywhere from 10.5 to 12.5 hour days/nights.

What inductions will I need to work on a Mine Site?

Required Inductions vary from site to site, based on who owns the mine and what is being mined. Depending on the site requirement, this could be an online induction completed prior to commencement with a site familiarisation on your first day or a up to a 2 day face to face induction upon your commencement on site.  If the role is on a coal mine in QLD, state legislation also mandates you must have a current Standard 11 Statement of Attainment.  This induction is a 3-day course that teaches you safety protocols and what to expect on a coal mine.  The course costs between $850 to $1200 depending on the training provider.

What are the medical requirements?

Depending on where you work will depend on the medical requirements.

State Legislated Medicals
NSW and QLD have a legislated medical requirement for all Coal Mine Workers working in the Coal Mining Industry. These medicals ensure that the holder is fit to work in a coal mine, and includes a hearing test, lung airflow test and a chest x-ray. 

Pre-Employment Functional and/or Medical Assessment
Certain companies also require new employees to undergo a functional assessment.  This assessment ensures the employee has the functionality required for the physical demands of the role.

Drug and Alcohol Screen
All employees on any mine site will need to provide a negative drug and alcohol test.  It is standard procedure to request a new employee to present a negative drug and alcohol report just prior to or on their first day on site.  Additionally, random drug and alcohol screening is standard practice upon entry to all sites.